Friday, May 24, 2013

Intermediate Bearded Iris HONEY GLAZED



Strong grower with clean foliage, and great increase. Magnificent branching and bud count, standards are a bright lemon cream and falls are what I like to think as a amber caramel blend that sometimes can show a darker splish splash colouration (which seems to be seasonal.) Yellow beards. Fragrant. Gives a great display and this is why it is still a hit with gardeners today.

Bay Blooms Nurseries, Cambridge Road, Tauranga Spring / Summer 1996 Catalogue

HONEY GLAZED
Cream standards and deep caramel coloured falls with a cream edge. We just love this one, and know of no other Iris of similar colourings.

The Medianite, Journal of The Median Society Fall, 2012.
More Intermediates??? Dave Niswonger
My experience with IB's began in 1979 when I crossed a seedling out of (Beau x Celestial Doll) with Turtledove (Moldovan 1972) which incidentally is a IB. From this cross I got two IB's that I like very much. However I couldn't decide which one I like the best. In approximately 1981, Region 18 decided to make the Spring Convention in Wichiya, KS, a median one instead of a Tall Bearded convention. (this is the only time I can recall that this happened) at this convention my two IB seedlings were blooming side-by-side. So, I asked those nearby which one they like the best. I got no immediate reply. Finally somebody said, "why don't you introduce both of them?"I had never thought of that. So introduced Honey Glazed in 1983 (which won the Sass Medal in 1989) and Golden Muffin in 1986.

AIS Checklist 1989
HONEY GLAZED O. David Niswonger, R. 1982. Seedling IB 9-80. IB, 24" (61 cm), Mid bloom season. Standards cream; falls amber; gold beard. SDB 2-77: (Beau x Celestial Doll) X Turtledove. Cape Iris 1983. Honorable Mention 1985; Award of Merit 1987; Sass Medal 1989.


 As always clicking on the above image will take you to the larger, higher resolution version.
Photo credit and copyright Iris Hunter.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

DMCA.com

©2008 - 2016 HERITAGE IRISES. All rights reserved. Unauthorized copying or storage of this website's content is prohibited without prior written permission. Terry Johnson in association with The Iris Hunter,What Have You Productions and 15 out of 7 Design.